Ihram is a cloth for the Muslim Pilgrims, men and women to be worn for the performance of pilgrimage (Hajj).
The meaning of Ihram is “to Restain yourself” (Haram in Arabic) and the person wearing Ihram is called “Muhrim”.
The purpose of Ihram is to purify oneself spiritually by restaining from certain Halal or permissible activities for the sake of Allah Al-Mighty.
As per Shariah, the pilgrims are compulsory to wear Ihram before entering the Holy place of Makkah for the performance of pilgrimage.
Ihram is usually a white cloth that is un-stitched two-piece-sheet for men and the women any loose fitted outfit along with Hijab.
THE PREREQUISITES OF IHRAM
- Get yourself clean and purified mentally by making the intention of entering into the Ihram and recite Talbiyah trice
Translation: Ya Allah! I make the intention of Hajj, make it easy for me and accept it from me. Help me in offering it and make it blessed for me. I have made the intention for Hajj and have worn its Ihram for the sake of Allah.
- Take bath to clean your body as per the rules of Shariah
- Perform a fine ablution putting on before Ihram
- Clean your mouth by using Miswak
- Trim your nail before putting on Ihram (as it is prohibited afterward)
- Comb your hair properly before entering in Ihram
- Trim your beard and mustaches and shave unwanted body hair (as it is prohibited afterwards)
- Wear any fragrance (as it is prohibited afterwards)
- Put off all the normal sewn clothes including caps, hand gloves, socks, and even shoes etc.
- Now put on the two unsewn white sheet as per the guidance and a prescribed manner that is described by Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H)
PUTTING ON IHRAM
The method of putting on the two-unsown sheets of Ihram is guided below:
- Stand with your feet separated to make the correct shape, and hold the primary sheet behind you, before folding one length of the sheet around the other before you.
- Once you have folded the sheet over your lower body, crease over or roll the highest point of the sheet a few times along your waistline to keep it set up, ensuring that it winds up higher than your midsection catch.
- Next, take the subsequent sheet and spot it around your shoulders like a cape.
- Make one side longer than the other, and flick the more extended length behind you.
- Finally, place a few sticks in the sheets to keep them set up.
- Always ensure that you have great inclusion at the back for when you go into sujood in salat, and keep the base sheet over the navel to ensure that your Awrah is in every case appropriately secured.
PROHIBITED ACTS DURING IHRAM
There are a certain activities that in spite of being Halal (Permissible) they are not allowed during the state of Ihram for the pilgrims
- One cannot trim nails and shave or cut hair during Ihram
- One cannot apply any fragrance during Ihram
- One cannot engage in sexual activities in the state of Ihram
- One cannot kill or hunt animals or do any fishing while in the state of Ihram
- One cannot engage in any argument or fight while observing Ihram
- One cannot wear socks or shoes during Ihram (only sandals are allowed)
- The men are not allowed to cover head during Ihram (while the women have to wear Hijab to cover the head & hair)