Doomsday is an event that every Muslim believes will occur to put the universe to an end. On this day every living creature will have to present in front of Allah Almighty where they will have to answer for their deeds which they were engaged in doing in the world before and will be rewarded or punished according to the Meezan (balance) of their good or evil deeds.
“And be conscious of the Day on which you shall be brought back unto God, whereupon every human being shall be repaid in full for what he has earned, and none shall be wronged.” (2:281)
The Holy Quran has given the knowledge of the signs that will show the end is closer and the day of Judgement is about to be fallen very soon.
“But when there comes the Deafening Blast – that Day a man will flee from his brother, and his mother and his father, and his wife and his children. For each one of them, that Day will have enough preoccupations of his own. Some faces, that Day, will be bright – laughing, rejoicing at the good news. And other faces, that Day, will have upon them dust. Blackness will cover them. Those are the disbelievers, the wicked ones.” (Quran 80: 33-42)
Moreover, there is a huge collection of hadiths as well that clearly aware the Muslim Ummah about the signs of the Doomsday that are supposed to appear fortnight before the day of Judgement happens to come.
The Muslim scholars have categorized these signs of according to their properties as The Primary Lesser Signs and The Greater Signs.
The Lesser Signs:
These signs are supposed to be visible before the Doomsday in the form of the Religious weakening in terms of feelings, thoughts, and attitudes, lack of attention towards religious rules, abandoning worshipping, and an increase in immorality, etc. The signs are listed below:
- People competing with each other to construct higher buildings. (Bukhari, Fitan, 25; see Tajrid Sarih Trns; 1/58).
- People wishing to die (Bukhari, Fitan, 25; Muslim, Fitan, 53-54)
- A great fire originating in Hejaz illuminating the feet of camels in Busra (a town near Damascus) (Bukhari, Fitan, 24; Muslim, Fitan, 42).
- The disappearance of the waters of the Euphrates and the uncovering of gold in the riverbed (Muslim, Fitan, 29-31).
- The disappearance of Islamic sciences and the increase of ignorance (Bukhari, Fitan, 4).
- The increase in earthquakes (Bukhari, Fitan, 25).
- The increase in murders and the appearance of fitnah (sedition, mischief, testing) (Bukhari, Fitan, 4; Muslim, Fitan, 18).
- The breakout of a war between Jews and Muslims; Muslims killing Jews (Tajrid Sarih Trns, VIII, 341; Muslim, Fitan, 79-82).
- Committing fornication openly; increase in the consumption of alcohol; increase in the number of women and decrease in the number of men (al-Ali an-Nasif Taj, 5/335).
The Greater Signs:
The greater signs are the major events to occur before the Doomsday.
As per a fine hadith narrated by Hazrat Hudhifa Bin Asad Ghafari (R.A):
“Once we were talking to each other while the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) came to us and asked what are you discussing about?
We replied, “We are discussing the Doomsday (Qayamat).”
Thereupon, the Prophet (P.B.U.H) told us, “The Doomsday will not occur unless you see these ten signs,” and afterwards The Prophet (P.B.U.H) mentioned the signs as Dajjal (AntiChrist), the Smoke, the Beast (Daabbat al-Ard), the rising of the sun from the west, the descent of Hazrat Essa son of Mariyum (PBUH), Yajuj Majuj (Gog & Magog), and the land-sliding in three places, one in the east, one in the west, and one in Arabia at the end of which a fire would burn forth from Yemen and would drive people to the place of their assembly.” (Muslim, Fitan, 39)
The detail of these signs is mentioned below:
- The Emergence of Dajjal: Dajjal, a lier with one eye and the word KAFIR on his forehead, will come at the end time and remain for the forty days. He will say to the people that he is the god and trail them with his extraordinary abilities and richness. That would be a tough time for the true believers. He will be killed in a war with the descent of Hazrat Essa (A.S).
- Dukhan (the Smoke) will appear: A cloud of smoke will appear and cover the world that would also remain for forty days. Due to this smoke effect, the believers would feel cold and the unbelievers would behave as if they are drunk.
- The Sun will rise in the west: The sun will rise in the west and the believers instead of having faith in the sign will not be benefitted by that because the end time would have arrived.
- The Dabbatul Ard- The Beast will come: Dabbatul Ard means the animal of the earth. This is supposed to be an animal with a strange look and a high speed. He will travel the whole world and speak in Arabic. He will have the Stick of Hazrat Mosa (A.S) and the ring of Hazrat Sulaiman (A.S) with which he will identify the believers and the non-believers and mark on their forehead with the stick (to the believers) and the ring (to the unbelievers)
- The Arrival descent of Hazrat Essa Ibn Maryam (A.S): The Hazrat Essa (A.S) will certainly return to the earth before the Doomsday with three missions to accomplish i.e. killing of Dajjal, saving Muslims from Yajuj Majuj, and boost Islam by becoming a Caliph.
- The appearance of Yajooj- Majooj (Gog and Magog): These are the two tribes which are supposed to create great mischief on the earth. They will come out of the mountain and break the barrier (the Iron Wall) made by Zulgarnain, a fair and powerful king of the times of Hazrat Ibrahim (A.S) to protect the people.
- Big landslides in three regions: A big landslide will come in three regions, the East, the West, and the Arabia. This disaster will cause the earth to collapse drowning everything, and killing many people. The sign is supposed to appear when the people of the mentioned regions will be engaged in immorality and evil behaviors.
- The emergence of a huge fire in Yemen: A huge fire would emerge in Yemen that would cause all the people to gather at a place called the meeting place (the final gathering for the Judgement). The death would be brought to life again through a loud sound. And this sign is declared the last of amongst the all major signs.
Exceptional of the above signs, a few more major signs are also there in the hadiths, like;
- Imam Mahdi will come down: The arrival of Hazrat Imam Mahdi (A.S) is also one of the major signs that have to come before the Doomsday. He will possess the same name and father’s name as Prophet Muhammad’s (SAW). He would become a Caliph and will fight against different enemies as before him the world would be fully involved in different oppressions.
- The Destruction of Kabbah: According to the hadiths, there will be a thin short legged ruler from Ethiopia who will attack Makkah and destroy Kabbah. And the hadiths also narrate that the Holy Quran and the hearts of people will be taken to the skies away from the earth after the destruction of Kabbah by Almighty Allah.